Sunday, October 10, 2010

Herd management

Ring. Ring. I pick up, Hello Nick. Lunch at the Harbor Cafe? Sure. My friend and I get there first. Packed. After 10 minutes of standing in the queue, Nick and another friend arrive. Nick manages to wait a total of 1 minute and 29 seconds. "How many tables are there before us?"  I shrug. "I counted ten." Nick looks around, "How's that table over there? A few seconds later we are all seated at a nice table located off to the side. Shortly a drink server appears. Drinks are ordered. Bloody Mary please. The waiter arrives. "Did the hostess seat you?" Nick glances up- "Sure." The server walks off. A few minutes later, the hostess shuffles over. "I didn't seat you." Nick looks at her. "We got tired of waiting." "Oh are you guys Judy, party of four?" Nick smiles slightly- "Sure." The hostess scolds us for not coming when called. We all nod... sorry. Our friend the waiter reappears. Everyone orders. I hear my name being called out by the hostess. I see a disgruntled female customer that might be a "Judy" arguing with the hostess. Soon enough, the hostess returns with the waiter. "Are you guys Carl, party of four?" We look around. The hostess glares at us, "Judy's here and she's not very happy." I grin, the jig is up. "Yeah I'm Carl." The waiter shrugs, "Oh, OK that's fine." Nick tells them to seat Judy and her friends with us. Simple solution. I ponder how many times he's done this. Probably every time. Nick doesn't seem to be the type that waits in lines. I wonder if there is a lesson in this. Probably. 
<(")

No comments:

Post a Comment